Monday, October 12, 2009

The Epicureans Dilema: Welcome!

Thank you for embarking on this journey of food and restaurants with me.

Epicurean philosophy is rooted in the narcissistic idea of obtaining pleasure in order to obtain a state of tranquility and a freedom from fear. When I began thinking about it, I thought, isn't that why we indulge in food? From the succulence of Maine lobster, perfectly seared foie gras, or a glass of a '97 Napa Valley Cabernet, to the pulled pork from our favorite local barbecue joint, a shotgunned can of PBR while tailgating with old college buddies, to the butter soaked popcorn we so closesly relate to our neighborhood cinema, food, in a very real sense equals pleasure. That is why I am here today, because for me food goes way beyond pleasure, or contentness; it goes to the idea of making others happy. Since for many of you I will never cook, the least I could do is share my thoughts on food through my writing. Unfortunately, it doesn't and won't compare, but hell, it's better than nothing. I appreciate your feedback, support and thoughts - please spread the word. The first real post is coming soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment