Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Way We Approach Life Does Make A Difference


I am extremely encouraged with the response I have gotten from many of you.... It is gratifying to track how many visitors have come to the site, and it is good to know that is not just me, my family and close friends! For those of you who don't know me well, or are merely getting introduced to me through this writing, thank you. I began writing, because I enjoyed it, and for no other reason than that, back when I was in high school - I spent time fantasizing about all sorts of things in class, not just girls, when I should have been learning of the French-Indian War, the marvelous poetry of T.S. Eliot, and spanish verb conjugations.

My mother, was a writer and a beautiful one at that. She was in the middle of writing a memoir when she passed on of cancer, that damned disease we are all too familiar with, when I was an awkward eight grader trying to find myself. Maybe this is me carrying on her legacy, or maybe I am now writing those words that she never got to..... That is what I would like to think atleast...



A Landshark beer is tucked between my legs, as I eat a sleeve of girl scout cookies watching the new episode of Top Chef Las Vegas. For those of you who don't watch, it is quality entertainment, and is one of few shows I watch religiously. Andrea Bocelli echoes softly in the background from my computer while my cousin sleeps gingerly on the couch across from me, letting out an occasion snore, awakening the dogs from their much cherished slumber. My head is now clear from the self inflicted torture I brought upon myself known as a hangover.....

Today is Blog Action Day, meaning that us bloggers are supposed to rally around a certain topic of global signficance and the idea is that, worldwide there will be thousands among thousands of folks with different points of view, coming from different cultures, speaking different languages, and praying to different gods - united in vision for atleast one day regarding a single topic. The topic this year happens to be Climate Change. I was very hesitant to participate. Very. Being new to the blogging community my goal was to create a loyal following of readers who would participate in what I was doing, and appreciate my writing for what it was. For the stories, recipes, imagery, and everything else that this blog is about. I then thought how much the restaurant industry is attempting to and striving towards minimizing it's impact on the environment and how at the very least I could discuss this, and maybe in the process get some positive PR for my participation.
So here goes, though instead of writing about climate change, all I am going to say is that if restaurants and superemarkets on an individual basis made choices that would support a healthy environment we would all be so much better off. Obviously we would be living in a healthier and cleaner world, but we would be healthier as people in general - no hormones in our meats, no sprays on our fruits and vegetables - everything would be natural, the way things were meant to be, but it falls back on us as consumers. Unless we consciously make the right choice as individuals we will be fighting a losing battle. Go support your local farmers. Think about the decisions you make on a daily basis and how that effects the world around you. Think about that impact, however big or small, then multiply it by, say, three or four billion. My favorite quote from my Mother's writing was this. Simple, and to the point - "The way we approach life does make a difference" - What difference are you making?

I am done preaching now - I think I am going to write about barbecue tomorrow......Always an enjoyable, nostalgic and ever controversial topic........

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very admiring that you are writing all of this...you have an elegant appetizing writing style that sinks deeply.It reminds me SINGING OUT LOUD in the car....Just as the beat of life drums out each day with work, it is evident the only thing in life constant is change..Our lives are kept "fresh" and tasteful when the ingredients are respected...

    YES !!"The way we approach life does make a difference"

    ReplyDelete