Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Home Sweet Home



In Norfolk:
This place is vacant. There are literally 6 people in the airport right now, not counting employees. It is dark - of course it is - it is 5:15 AM. Starbucks wasn't open, so I had to settle for the generic magazine vendor coffee. I am actually surprised that someone was working the stand. It tastes stale, almost like it is leftover from yesterday, and it is entirely too hot to get anywhere remotely near my face. I am filthy, and tired - exhausted beyond belief. I still have my bar key in my back pocket, and my mismatched socks are wet from the dishwasher that overflowed behind the bar tonight, and I am pretty sure that there is a chard of glass penetrating the bottom of my shoe. My body aches. That is what the restaurant industry does to you, especially when you haven't slept yet, and worked 15 hours.. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to the gym today..... or yesterday... I am not quite sure what today is.... the last two days have kinda melded together, and have become one continuous episode in my life.....


In Atlanta.....
Keep in mind it was 5:30 AM or so when I boarded the Atlanta bound flight. I headed straight to the airport from work, and arrived in Atlanta by 7:30. When free time runs sparce you learn to make the most of it, so I spent the plane flight reading the most recent issue of Maxim, we landed, I headed over to baggage claim, and hopped on the metro heading northbound towards the city I dearly love. Fellow Atlantans head off to work, to school; to live their daily lives. The sun is as bright as I have ever seen it, moisture is kissing the windows of the train from the outside, and a cool breeze slides through the rail car at every stop as nameless passengers load and unload. I begin to think about the previous night - we had a really good night at the restaurant- but all I can think about is my family - how I miss them, and how I just want to be with them right this second. I'm almost there, 3 more stops a cab ride through the autumn leaves of Buckhead and im there. The crisp Autumn air is unparalleled and the spectrum of colors that are naturally created in the forests surrounding this beautiful city ignite my passion for the South whenever I am gone for any extended period of time. Anyway, this trip home will be a nice break from work. For the next couple days I get to frequent the bars and restaurants in which I used to work. I get to catch up with old waitresses, managers, dishwashers and prep cooks. Banter in Spanish with my mexican kitchen buddies, and perhaps choke down a mouth full of Jager with old bartenders. Things are always the same..... Some of the people will have changed but, not much, and in most instances that is a good thing. I will enjoy that, but first I am looking forward to a nap, and waking up to a drool soaked pillow..... To me that is always the sign of a good sleep. There is always time for family later.

No comments:

Post a Comment