Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Storms + Macaroni and Cheese



Last Thursday I didn’t leave the house. I opened the door to the patio and was greeted with spiraling winds and the persistent pounding of rain. I had never seen weather like this, or atleast not for this duration. It was like this for three days. Baxter -my boss, roommate and cousin went to the steakhouse attempting to rectify the gaping holes in the ceiling that subsequently ruined the carpet and private dining room over the following days. I offered to go into work at the Sports Lounge, but he insisted that no one would be out. The exits off the interstate into downtown Norfolk were closed. Granby Street was a wind tunnel and everyone was bracing for the worst of the storm that would occur at high tide that night. I watched two movies from my bed that afternoon - the lights were off all day, and I could have sworn that it was midnight at any point. I can’t remember the last time I just laid in bed, feeling no obligation to do anything.

On his way home from the steakhouse, he bought a variety of cheese – various cheddars, gouda, havarti gruyere and some parmesan - we worked on Macaroni and Cheese recipes. We made Rouxess, then Bechamels, then turned them into Mornays. We swapped suggestions, and ideas about what might make each taste better, creamier, or richer. A touch more salt, or pepper…. Maybe some garlic…. Or maybe some extra sharp Cheddar next time……too much roux, or milk…… We ate spoonful after spoonful of one of the great comfort foods…. It is one of those foods that everyone eats and most likely has a favorite recipe and almost always has associated memories of childhood. The rain had no signs of letting up, and the wind slapped the house as the dogs circled the kitchen hoping for a dropped spoonful of cheese coated pasta. They got lucky. Unfortunately the restaurant and the majority of Hampton Roads didn’t fare quite as well.....

2 comments:

  1. I sooo want some mac & cheese now..... lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might go home and try out some more recipes tonight :)

    ReplyDelete