Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thoughts on Thanksgiving.... and Old Friends....

We had a good weekend – busy. I just got called in to help with some faulty equipment at the restaurant. I guess when you live with your boss that kinda thing happens...and that's okay. Anyways, I just left - being able to break away for a couple hours, before having to return. Starbucks to write. Then gym. Then, like I said, back to work. Then Atlanta for Thanksgiving. I love my family…

Thanksgiving to me, is the holiest of days. It is a holiday that for me and my family, while staying consistent has evolved with age, time and maturity…. I can’t wait to be back in Atlanta, where Thursday morning I will awake to the already roasting turkey that will be seeping into the stuffing with its juices, creating the most glorious of smells....It is ironically a day of complete contradiction. A day of being thankful, and appreciative of the things we have, therefore we will eat until our bellies ache, drink so much that we create memories we can’t remember, and we are busy all day, but really aren’t busy at all. There are no meetings to attend, weddings, or concerts. We are busy spending time with the ones that we have been spending this holiday with for as long as we can remember....Some of them we see not nearly enough, and others perhaps too much. While family it is merely family maybe once every couple years there is an addition.... A spouse....a girlfriend... A family friend... or a new baby... but the dynamics rarely change and it is always the important things that matter most…..

I am sitting in starbucks right now... and as I think about my family and my favorite holiday, my buddy, Rene who is from Mexico, but living in Seattle, calls me on Skype. I haven’t talked to him in three years, and I have never before used Skype. When I saw his incoming call on my computer while writing about the nostalgia of family and those things that we are thankful for, it seemed like a perfectly fatalistic moment. We caught up, and after a couple minutes of talking, we realized nothing had changed. The moderate language barrier didn't matter. We were just as close as before. We joked back and forth, talked about how we both missed our families and each other, and talked about the good ole' day back in Atlana. It all seemed right, perfect. I, unlike him get to return home to my family, and that I am thankful for. Rene, well, his family is a couple thousand miles south, and he would go through several more years worth of holidays before seeing them again. I am thankful that my trip home is only an hour and a half south on a plane. I will board the plane Tuesday morning with others returning to see their loved ones as well. We will land at the busiest airport in the world, and be greeted with many more who will be just beginning their voyages home. Thanksgiving and family are, in a sense, synonymous. I guess in the end the important things aren’t all that hard to identify, and rarely truly change....

No comments:

Post a Comment